Insider Favorites: Heather’s Guide to London
London doesn’t always whisk people off their feet, but the British capital is a slow-burning affair. Let it get under your skin, embrace its fast pace, make it your mission to see more than just the city centre, and you’ll see why this is one of the world’s most popular cities. History, culture, food, drink, fashion, parks, architecture—there is an unlimited amount to see and experience in this city, and the list just continues to grow the longer you stay.
Three years ago, after a 16-month around-the-world trip, I moved to London to begin a career in writing and media—and I haven’t regretted it for a second. I now live in Islington, where I spend my evenings getting to know the restaurants and bars in the area and my weekends exploring the city’s brunch options.
Despite its imperfections—or maybe because of them—London has an addictive quality, and I’m happily hooked.
I want to share with you my favorite…
- Quick-service restaurant: Afghan Kitchen in Islington
- Mid-range restaurant: Trullo in Islington
- Fancy restaurant: Hawksmoor Seven Dials
- Al fresco dining spot: Boundary in Shoreditch
- Sporting event: Wimbledon
- Hiking trail: Hampstead Heath (if that counts!)
- Place to get a view of the city: Sushi Samba/Duck & Waffle at Salesforce Tower
- Place to watch the sunset: Aqua at the Shard
Culture and Attractions
- Museum: British Museum
- Historical landmark: Houses of Parliament
- Place to take your family: West End Theatre
- Place to take your special someone: Primrose Hill for a boozy picnic
- Brand-name shopping mall: Westfield Shepherd’s Bush
- Boutique shopping spot: Annie’s Vintage Clothes in Islington