Look Good on the Go: Expert Stevy Stevens Offers Tips to Avoid Travel-Troubled Skin
It was a hard week. I had not slept well in days and the stress in my personal life was piling on me like wet sand. I was tired, and I needed a break. Unfortunately my schedule was rigorous that week and all I had time for was a few hours off one Saturday afternoon. So, I poured my body into my car and drove an hour north of San Francisco to the quaint town of Petaluma. There I was treated to a mini-vacation by Stevy Stephens, the owner of Skin Fitness.
Walking into her center you can feel the energy shift into a more gentle gear. Just taking a deep breath in the lobby cleared my mind a bit. I met with Stevy, told her what I was experiencing with my dry skin and bags under my eyes. She took special care to listen to me and create a few treatments specially designed for my personal needs.
Stevy is a master of wellness and skincare. Her deep interest stemmed from her own health obstacles, so she understands the issues that her clients bring to her. After enduring considerable health problems, resulting from a car accident in 1996, which were only further complicated by traditional medicines, Stevy made it her life’s passion to explore the practices of wellness and to educate others on the same. Her inspiration led her to begin her training and education in nutrition and skin care.
Specializing in holistic nutrition and clinical skin care as well as advancements in technology for body, mind and spirit, Stevy’s intention is to create a safe place of wellbeing. She provides a nurturing environment where information does not cause chaos and confusion, but is utilized to educate and create results for each person and their individual biochemical needs.
Stevy’s knowledge and credibility help guide her clients in making informed and well-supported choices for their overall health and wellbeing. After a brief discussion about what I needed, Stevy took me into her inner sanctuary where she worked her magic. For the next two hours I was treated like a delicate flower and brought back to life. The treatments I received that afternoon included:
- Blueberry Smoothie Peel
- Signature Facial Light
- Eyebrow Waxing
- Lip Waxing Service
- 20 minutes of Calm in the Affirmation/Decompression room
I left feeling lighter, wiser, and well-hydrated.
For those who can’t make it to Stevy’s Skin Fitness Center in Petaluma, we brought Stevy to you.
1. It’s the summer and we are all starting to jump on planes. How can we keep our skin hydrated and happy when jet setting?
Stevy: Before fun and relaxation takes over, it is essential to be proactive and mindful as we embark on our journey. Proper planning sets you up for a great time all around and brings you home revived, healthy and ready for re-entry. Here are a few things you can do to ensure fun and radiance while on holiday…or any day!
- While indulgence at any level has amazing benefits, the after-effects can distress your system and leave your skin lackluster. I know you’ve heard it before, the importance of drinking water, but it couldn’t be more important than when we travel. Lack of water in the body tends to give rise to dehydration, thereby posing hurdles for the blood to circulate, and lending itself to toxic build up in our system. The gravity of problem increases as it causes the brain to become less active and your body feels tired and fatigued. Water keeps the digestive system in order and flushes out the waste products from your body, supporting immune health. Warm lemon water works wonders in moving this process along and keeps your heart healthy and skin radiant! Lemons and limes are an easy find so be sure to opt for lemon water instead of coffee especially when in airports. The rule of thumb for water intake is half your body weight in ounces per day.
- Be sure to pack a nutrient rich serum. I recommend an encapsulated form. As mentioned above, hydration is key for all bodily systems to perform at optimum levels and the skin is the largest organ of the body, consisting of over 60% water. Sun exposure, heat and stress cause epidermal and systemic water loss. Some of the most effective cosmetic ingredients that help prevent water loss are liposomes, ceramides and sphingolipids and should be in the top five of the ingredient list!
- Packing a powerful hydrating spray can work wonders! Not only will it serve as fabulous, instantaneous hydration, it gives you a refreshing pick-me-up and cools the skin. This is a big bonus as our body temp rises due to stress, sun exposure and just plain too much fun. If you are traveling light and taking only a carry-on, be sure to pack a 1 oz. spray bottle filled and ready to go. When you run out, make your own: 1 cup mineral water, half a teaspoon of organic coconut oil (which you should pack in a travel friendly, snap tight container). Pour the ingredients into a jar/bottle and shake vigorously until well blended. Once mixed, pour the concoction into a spray bottle and spray away! Organic coconut oil is an excellent hydrator. Not only is it hydrating but it is also contains anti- fungal, viral, and bacterial properties. It’s also good to carry for burns, cuts, and general skin irritations. Minerals are hydrophilic and like to “grab” moisture from the air, so you get a two for one with the mineral water.
2. Many of our readers plan on going to the beach and yachting. What type of sunscreen should they be wearing?
Stevy: Be sure to use a sunscreen that contains titanium and zinc. The biggest complaint I get from my clients is that sunscreen affects and irritates their eyes and skin. Most chemical barriers cause irritation to the skin, especially after thermal exposure. I have great success with our sunscreens that only contain physical barriers and no chemical barriers. They also contain amazing ingredients like SOD and glutathione, which are excellent for free radical protection during UVA/UVB exposure. You must have sunscreen that provides BOTH UVA & UVB protection!
3. What are the three skincare items take we should take with us when we travel? I don’t want to pack all my skincare products when I am only taking a carry-on.
Stevy: This is a great question! We can cheat a little here as a kit qualifies as one item and are airport bag check ready.
- Skin care kits are dynamic in that everything has been thought out for you. If you utilize professional quality products, kits should, at the very least, consist of the following items: cleanse, correct/serum, hydrate and sunscreen. This goes for both men and women. If you have your favorite items, then be sure to purchase travel size bottles so you can make your own to go care kit.
- A Body care kit should include a good sunscreen for the body and a soothing hydration product to calm the skin from environmental stress and UV exposure.
- It’s a good idea to pack a high-grade electrolyte supplement pack. I recommend a powder packet for my clients. It’s easy for travel and tastes great! Supplements are the next choice, but not as immediately bio-available as the powdered form. Minerals and their co-factors are essential for intra & extra cellular water balance. This means hydration is highly supported systemically. Also a great hangover remedy!
4. What is the biggest mistake travelers make with their skin when on the road?
Stevy: Not being prepared and not applying SPF a minimum of 15 minutes before sun exposure and reapplying every two hours. SPF must be reapplied frequently. Skin cancer is not only one of the most dangerous types of cancer, but it is one of the most preventable. As it is on the rise nation-wide, education and preparedness are the best tools one can have in their travel arsenal!
5. Do you recommend any restaurants in Petaluma?
Stevy: Petaluma is known for its great eateries. I have my favorites for both the tasty experience and because they prepare and serve the food with so much intention, love and care. I recommend to all my clients — Breakfast/Lunch: The Tea Room, Della Fattoria; Dinner: Central Market. These restaurants use local, sustainable, and organic ingredients. Another fun thing to do on a Sunday is take a tour of Tara Firma Ranch.
If you’d like to treat yourself to a wonderful, relaxing experience, contact Skin Fitness Wellness Center today. Jetset Extra readers will receive an upgrade Caviar Hand and Foot treatment with any spa service. If you’d like more information and/or suggestions regarding product, give a call. Mention Jetset Extra, and you’ll receive a 15% discount on any and all items to get you jetset ready!
Sidenote: Stevy did our hair and make for the Jetset Extra launch party – and we looked fabulous. Thanks, Stevy!