Bill Clinton and the Eco-Friendly Jetsetter
Good news for those who are drawn to the eco-friendly appeal of the green movement, but not quite ready to trade in chic for compostable. Jetset Extra’s Celebrity Interior Designer and Green Living authority, Sophie Azouaou, had those consumers in mind when she unveiled the 2012 Green Design Trends at the prestigious Las Vegas World Summer Market Center, July 30 to August 3.
The convention drew more than 38,000 attendees, with former President Bill Clinton as the keynote speaker. Clinton shared his perspective on globalization and the growing interdependence of the world’s people, emphasizing the need to save energy, water, and all of our natural resources.
The convention’s theme was the green economy. “The goal is to be trendy, respect Mother Nature, and save the planet at the same time,” Azouaou explained. “We have come a long way and don’t have to sacrifice comfort and beauty to be green.” While attendees sipped R&B Cellars wine and enjoyed Vital Choice Wild Seafood Organic Trail Mix, Sophie unveiled the 2012 High Rise Green Trends. Here are some of the trends at a glance:
- Specific small-scale furniture to deal with space limitations in high rises
- Energy-efficient window coverings that are ‘green assured.’ Finding greener alternatives in the shades themselves by opting for organic fabrics.
- Energy-efficient appliances: HE washers and dishwashers
- Efficient water usage via low flush toilets, shower heads, and faucets
- Indoor air: purifying plants recommended, to purify the air, Low VOC Paint (volatile organic compounds), and organic wallpaper to avoid toxic gas exposure
- Floors: recycled leather tiles, reclaimed floors, or slip-resistant recycled glass tiles
- Furniture: sustainable alder, bamboo, rattan, or wicker
- Mattresses: 100 percent wool- or soybean-based to avoid allergies, asthma. Organic mattress covers recommended for a healthier sleep environment
- Rugs: in natural fibers such as abaca, jute, paper, sea grass, or 100 percent wool to reduce allergies, asthma and chemical exposure via toxic dyes
- Seat fillers and cushioning: latex or bio- hybrid foam instead of standard foam
All attendees were given beautiful samples provided by generous sponsors: Earth Friendly Products, Grand Somar Lands’ End, Instone Granite and Marble, Living Tree Community Foods, Shear Miracles By Robyn, 100% Pure, Sophisticate Interiors, Suki Skincare, and Vital Choice Wild Seafood and Organics.
The seminar was a huge success. Attendees left happy, their arms full with goodies. Most importantly, they learned they don’t have to sacrifice comfort and design to lead a greener and healthier life.
Links for sponsors in order:
Earth Friendly Products
Grand Solmar Land’s End
Instone Granite and Marble
Living Tree Community Foods
Shear Miracles By Robyn
Vital Choice Wild Seafood and Organics